Monday, November 21, 2011

A Moment with Clarissa Yip


1-Tell the readers a little about yourself.
Hmm…That’s a hard question. No, really it is. I’m an author, a student, a scrapbooker, a video gamer, and…what were we talking about? Lol. Sorry. I grew up in New York, have been traveling across the states the past few years. I’ve stayed in Hawaii for about two and a half years. Sometimes I’ll be in California, New York, possibly Texas (only if I want to put up with family), but right now I live in Maryland…until the travel bug bites me again. I write contemporary romance, I’m a big Castle fan, and I love LOVE to eat! I will drive to wherever there is good food. (Well, also because no one wants me in the kitchen. My own cooking scares me.) I love languages. I speak Chinese at home but I’ve studied Korean and Mandarin for years. Currently, I’m working on my Masters in International Business Marketing Management. My dream? Is to share my stories with the whole word. Preferably one day in different languages. 
2-As an author, do you take time to read? If so, what do you like to read and who is/are your favorite author/s?
I love to read! Who doesn’t? lol. I’m constantly adding to my TBR pile. (That thing is monstrous.) Some of my fave authors include JR. Ward, Harlequin authors Lynn Raye Harris, Olivia Gates, and also many old time authors like Judith McNaught, Linda Howard, Sandra Brown, Jude Devereaux… My list could go on forever! I still love to dig up the older books and read them over and over again. There’s just some sort of comfort in reading stories you grew up with. 
3-How do you stay motivated when the Muse is uncooperative?
My muse? She’s mean! It depends on where I am, I think. Usually when I’m in Hawaii, she’s more cooperative or she’ll just run off to the beach without me. If I’m in California, she’s too busy shopping and trying to fill up on Mexican food. In New York, she’s hides because she hates the demands brought on by family. She doesn’t have much thinking space there (Okay, my parents drive her nuts. The truth.) Now in Maryland? She’s just chillin’. Sometimes she’ll come out and be ferocious and force me to write continuously, other times she’s feeling sun deprived so I have to bribe her with food. *whispers* Is it weird that she comes out more vivid when I’m showering? Seems I’ve been doing my plotting more in the shower than anywhere else…
4-If you could go anywhere in the world on a romantic getaway, what would you do and where would you go?
Wow! Don’t think I’ve ever been asked this one before. Romantic getaway? I would say anywhere in Europe or somewhere warm. I’ve always wanted to go to Italy and visit the vineyards and meet some hot Italian guy that would seduce me with their accent. Or they could just bring me to Hong Kong and buy me street food. It’s good! I swear. I see it in movies all the time. Ever watch Anthony Bourdain? Dangerous man. I wish I had his job at times… I think anywhere is romantic as long as you’re with the one you love and you’re having a good time making memories.  
5-What is the hardest thing for you to write?
Writing is easy! (that’s such a lie.) I think I struggle most with just getting the ideas on paper and just starting to write. I could have really good days and know what I want, but then some days… I do all this plotting and outlining and character mapping, and then when I actually sit down and write, my characters decide that they don’t want to do that. They’ll just do the opposite of what I want to occur. (Mean muse, again.) I write mainly contemporary romance, but I love reading paranormals. If you told me to write a paranormal…that story might take years to get done. My brain just doesn’t function that way. 
6-If you could live the life of one of your characters who would you be?




Hmmm…I would have to say Jenna from One Chance. She’s spunky, shy, but seen as one of the guys. I wish I was physically shaped like her. (She’s a gym teacher. I’m not coordinated at all. I could easily trip over my own feet. Yup, clutzy.) Jenna’s courage and determination in getting what she wants draws me to her. And what does she want? To save her best friend, Cade who is marrying the wrong woman. They’re best friends and I’ve always dreamed of falling for my best friend. The friendship/love dynamics just intrigue me. One Chance is a short story, but the way their relationship grows just tugs at my heart. I’m cheering for Jenna the whole time and hoping Cade isn’t an idiot. * fingers crossed * Of course you know, they work things out. 
7-The tag line on my blog is ‘Indulge Your Inner Romantic.’ What do you do to indulge?
Well, besides that tag line being dangerous? My inner romantic would be indulging in my TBR pile, flying all over the country for awesome food, and always seeking the next best idea for writing the best story. 


Releasing November 18th
Shy tomboy Jenna Faulkner has been in love her whole life—with her best friend. Except he’s marrying the wrong woman, and he doesn’t know it yet. But she’s determined to save him.
Instead of the normal bachelor party, Jenna decides to throw a different type of gathering…with just her. Alone. Will Cade finally come to his senses and see Jenna for more than a friend, or has she ruined their friendship once and for all?

Releasing: November 28th
Stubborn and proud cowgirl, Lily McCormick, is finally coming to terms with her quiet life on her parent’s ranch, until her older brother, as payback, signs her up for 1NightStand. Kidnapped and forced onto a plane to a foreign location, she faces the dreaded cold and an unwanted tryst, until her ex-husband appears before her…as her date.
New York City District Attorney, Rafe Martinez, would do anything to get his ex-wife back, even if it meant taking drastic measures to pretend he was there for another woman. When jealousy and rage surfaces and Lily’s tough demeanor wanes, desire and lust sparks their once powerful connection as truths unfold. Will Rafe convince her to return to him or push her further away from giving their love a second chance? 


Releasing December 23rd
Sarah Westfall is on a mission. Living the mundane life of a near spinster school teacher and sick of her parents throwing eligible men at her, she is determined to get over her crush on her best friend’s brother. She wants a prince and wouldn’t settle for less. What better way than a 1Night Stand?
Evan Hunt needs to figure out his enemy’s game plan. Chasing his nemesis to Las Vegas and signing up for Madame Eve’s service and masquerade, he never expected the woman he’s desired for years to appear before him…as his princess. 
When their attraction fires the night, the inevitable happens. Her prince isn’t as charming as she’s hoped, but he does save her from trouble. Would he be willing to fulfill her fantasies also?



12 comments:

Lynn Chantale said...

Welcome Clarissa. Sorry the post is a little late, been driving all night. Chef has made lots of goodies, help yourself, and the bar is open. Hmm. Tyrell the bartender is here somewhere.

I was hoping to tackle my TBR list this week, while on vacay, but I seem to keep adding to the pile with all these awesome authors. I love New York and Texas.

Clarissa Yip said...

Thanks so much for having me! I'll have to check out the goodies and open bar! Yay!

Nina Croft said...

Wow - you're keeping busy - good luck with all the releases.
Your muse sounds difficult, Clarissa, and I love that you have to bribe her with food - the perfect excuse!
Now I want to go to Hong Kong for some street food - you've made me hungry.

Liz said...

love me some Clarissa...yes. I do.

Clarissa Yip said...

Nina, we should both go to Hong Kong together!


*hugs* Liz, Thanks for stopping by!

L. C. Dean said...

You have lived such a amazing life so far, Clarissa. Next time you go somewhere warm or exotic I wanna be in your suitcase.

Oh, and if your muse wants to come out an play in the shower could you shower more than once a day so you can write faster? ;-D

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! I plot and get organized and then when I write things always change too. LOL

Clarissa Yip said...

Hey LC! lol. I wouldn't say its amazing, but it does let my travel muse out once in a while. If only I can write faster! lol Thanks for stopping by!

Clarissa Yip said...

Oh Jennifer, I think it's a muse conspiracy when they suddenly decide to change the plot lines. lol.

Cynthia Selwyn said...

Tell your muse to quit whining and to appear to you someplace you can use one of your writing gadgets. The shower ain't it. ;) She's served you well before and she'd better serve you again or I'll come find her--whichever state she happens to live in--and shake her until she coughs up another wonderful Clarissa Yip story.

Tell her I mean it! ;) You're a wonderful writer. I love your stories!

Chelle Sandell said...

Ditto. Your Muse is one talented girl. ;) And, honey, if you make it down to Texas you better call me so I can bring you some truffles. And cupcakes. And... LOL.

Tina said...

Great interview, Clarissa. :)
I'm so excited and happy for you. Your writing is great and WOW... those covers. ;)
Best of luck to you!